Fintan O’Toole reports from Croke Park
STEPHEN BENNETT’S BRACE of goals helped Waterford claim a five-point win over Dublin tonight in Croke Park, the county’s first senior hurling triumph at the stadium since the 2008 All-Ireland semi-final.
Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO
Bennett found the net early in each half. The game was only five minutes old when he raised a green flag, whipping home after he quickest to react in front of the Davin End when Pauric Mahony’s effort from a free struck the upright.
And then after the interval, he profited when Dublin goalkeeper Conor Dooley rushed out of goal only to lose the ball and Bennett collected before drilling a low 20-yard shot into the unguarded net.
Those strikes, allied to a brilliant scoring return of 0-12 from Pauric Mahony, were central to Waterford’s victory as Derek McGrath’s team recovered from a five-point deficit that they faced at one stage in the first half.
Dublin were ahead 1-7 to 1-2 in the 19th minute when Donal Burke billowed the net after gathering a long delivery from Chris Crummey as the ball spilled loose.
Burke, who finished with 1-7 overall, and Eamon Dillon were central to Dublin’s scoring spree in the opening period as they went in front 1-10 to 1-8 at the midway mark.
Source: Tommy Dickson/INPHO
But Waterford dominated the play in the second half with Shane Fives, Kevin Moran and Austin Gleeson all proving particularly influential.
Click Here: Cheap AFL Guernsey
Even though they were reduced to 14 men late on when Stephen Daniels was shown a red card, Waterford’s second-half showing proved sufficient to secure the spoils as they outscored Dublin 1-11 to 0-9.
Scorers for Waterford: Pauric Mahony 0-12 (0-10f), Stephen Bennett 2-2, Austin Gleeson, Kevin Moran 0-2 each, Maurice Shanahan 0-1.
Scorers for Dublin: Donal Burke 1-7 (1-7 frees), Eamon Dillon 0-4, Ryan O’Dwyer, Rian McBride 0-2 each, Chris Crummey, Niall McMorrow 0-1 each.
1. Ian O’Regan (Mount Sion)
2. Shane Fives (Tourin)
3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)
4. Noel Connors (Passage)
9. Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater)
5. Tadhg de Burca (Clashmore / Kinsalebeg)
7. Stephen Daniels (De La Salle)
of the team
Access exclusive podcasts, interviews and analysis with a monthly or annual membership.
Become a Member
8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)
10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle)
6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)
11. Pauric Mahony (Ballygunner)
12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)
13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)
14. Stephen Bennett (Ballysaggart)
15. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)
21. Maurice Shanahan (Lismore) for Curran (49)
22. Mikey Kearney (Ballyduff Upper) for Barron (50)
24. Brian O’Halloran (Clashmore-Kinsalebeg) for Shane Bennett (61)
20. Jake Dillon (De La Salle) for Stephen Bennett (66)
18. Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan) for Conor Gleeson (67)
1. Conor Dooley (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
2. James Madden (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
3. Eoghan O’Donnell (Whitehall Colmcille)
4. Shane Barrett (Na Fianna)
5. Ben Quinn (Crumlin)
6. Liam Rushe (St Patrick’s, Palmerstown)
7. Chris Crummey (Lucan Sarsfields)
8. Niall McMorrow (Ballyboden St Enda’s)
9. Caolán Conway (Kilmacud Crokes)
10. Rian McBride (St Vincent’s)
14. Eamon Dillon (Naomh Fionnbarra)
12. Eoghan Conroy (St Maur’s)
13. Fiontán Mac Gib (Setanta)
11. Ryan O’Dwyer (Kilmacud Crokes)
15. Donal Burke (Na Fianna)
26. Cian Boland (St Oliver Plunkett’s/Eoghan Ruadh) for Conway (46)
17. Cian MacGabhann (Kilmacud Crokes) for Madden (55)
24. Chris Bennett (Faughs) for Conroy (61)
23. Cian O’Sullivan (St Brigid’s) for Quinn (68)
19. Fionn Ó Riain-Broin (St Judes) for Barrett (72)
Referee: Johnny Ryan (Tipperary)
The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!