Meath’s Fionn Reilly and Liam O’Reilly of Westmeath

Source: James Crombie/INPHO

WESTMEATH CAME FROM behind to clinch a 2-8 to 0-12 win over Meath tonight in the EirGrid Leinster U21 football championship and set up a quarter-final meeting against reigning champions Dublin next week.

It's great to score the match winning goal…but if you're a corner back, you've to get straight back down the field after. A brilliant night for Boidu Sayeh and the Westmeath U21's. #EirGridGAA #westmeath #leinsterU21 #gaa – Pics: @james_inpho

A post shared by The42 ( on

There was also a 1-18 to 0-8 victory for Wexford over Carlow while the other first round clash between Wicklow and Louth was postponed in Baltinglass due to an unplayable pitch.

At St Loman’s in Mullingar, Westmeath trailed 0-12 to 1-6 entering the last quarter but Meath – who finished with 13 men – failed to score again as Westmeath notched two points to narrow the deficit to the minimum.

Then came the last score of the game when Boidu Sayeh bagged Westmeath’s second goal and it proved to be the strike that sealed a two-point win.

Congrats Westmeath u21s on savage win tonight v Meath !

Click Here: melbourne storm jersey— David Duffy (@d_duffer2) February 22, 2017

Source: David Duffy/Twitter

Super win by @westmeath_gaa u21s over Meath 🙌🙌🙌🙌 #Yop

— John Egan (@JohnEgan1111) February 22, 2017

Source: John Egan/Twitter

Westmeath were ahead 0-3 to 0-2 after the opening quarter before Meath rallied with a pair of points from Sean Reilly putting them ahead.

Then Westmeath were awarded a penalty in the 24th minute with Ronan O’Toole hitting the back of the net, yet Meath took control again to go ahead 0-7 to 1-3 at the break.

Westmeath’s Ian McGovern and Daire Campion of Meath

Source: James Crombie/INPHO

Meath strengthened their position to move in front 0-9 to 1-3 after the break and still held that three-point advantage at the three-quarter mark. But Westmeath rallied and now a trip to Parnell Park awaits them next Wednesday night.

At Netwatch Cullen Park, Wexford proved far too strong for Carlow as they ran out victors by 13 points to set up a quarter-final meeting with Offaly.

Wexford enjoyed a 0-5 to 0-3 advantage after the first quarter before going in front 0-10 to 0-5 at the break. Mikey Dwyer, Conor Firman and Mark Rossiter were amongst their first-half point scorers.

Tom Byrne, Niall Hughes and Ian Carty all raised white flags in the second half as Wexford increased their lead before Dwyer struck the only goal of the game to seal their progression.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *