Jaylon Ferguson, a potential Giants target, will not be permitted to attend the NFL Scouting Combine, according to NFL Network.
The NCAA’s all-time sack leader, who attended Louisiana Tech, had his combine invite rescinded because a background check revealed that he had been convicted of simple battery as a freshman after a fight at a McDonald’s, according to Tuesday’s report.
Ferguson apparently is using this setback as motivation, tweeting, “Bend but never break.”
Giants representatives met with Ferguson for the first time during the Senior Bowl in January. The Giants are in need of an elite pass rusher, but he would have to get used to New York City life if he ever joined Big Blue.
Sack king Jaylon Ferguson is on Giants' radar for NFL draft
MOBILE, Ala. — When Jaylon Ferguson made his first contact…
“City life is not really for me, but if I have to go play football there, I’ll go play football there,’’ Ferguson told The Post’s Paul Schwartz. “It’s all going to be the same. Football field still gonna be green, still gonna have 100 yards.’’
Ferguson is the NCAA record-holder with 45 career sacks. The defensive end/outside linebacker picked up the final 2.5 sacks in his last college game, in the Hawaii Bowl, to surpass the 44 career sacks Terrell Suggs compiled in his time at Arizona State.
Ferguson finished the season with 17.5 sacks, breaking the single-season record of 14.5 he amassed in 2016.
The weather is another factor that may not make Ferguson a fit for the Giants.
“I don’t like the cold weather, but I’ll play anywhere,’’ Ferguson said during the week at the Senior Bowl. “I’m not really a cold-weather guy, though.’’
The NFL previously has told teams that any prospects found to have misdemeanor or felony convictions for domestic violence, sexual assault or weapons offenses would not be invited to “any league-related event.”
The combine will be held from Feb. 26 to March 4 in Indianapolis.