Carrickshock (Kilkenny) 3-12
Celbridge (Kildare) 1-16

St. Conleth’s Park, Newbridge hosted what can only be described as a classic encounter between Carrickshock and Celbridge, where the Kilkenny kingpins struck late to crush Celbridge dreams.

After an amazing win @carrickshockgaa captain John Tennyson accepts the @gaaleinster Club IHC Cup.

— Leinster GAA (@gaaleinster) December 3, 2016

Source: Leinster GAA/Twitter

The seven-time Kildare champions couldn’t have asked for a better start. After a Gerry Keegan free, the prolific youngster then turned provided and found Thomas Fitzgerald in the square. Fitzgerald’s deft touch found the net to give the boys in blue an unexpected early lead.

The Kilkenny champions who boast the fact that they have 22 senior All-Ireland hurling medals between them, appeared to find it hard to settle. However, Kevin Farrell had his eye in and kept his side in touch.

The sides traded scores, with Celbridge edging ahead as the first half entered its final exchanges. With a monster score from inside his own half, Kildare footballer of the year Fergal Conway split the posts as Celbridge found themselves leading 1-09 to 0-09 at the break.

Would Celbridge be able to sustain the level of play they showed in the opening half? Only time would tell.

Click Here: Flamengo soccer tracksuit

As play recommenced, Keegan continued his fine form pointing from distance. With the deficit at six points, Carrickshock introduced eight time All-Ireland winner, Richie Power.

Power in action for Kilkenny.

Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO

With his first touch, Power set up half forward John Power but the latter was denied by an excellent point blank save from Niall Lanigan.

It was clear that the tide was turning and that there was a Carrickshock comeback on the cards. Firstly John Dalton found the net in the 53rd minute as Celbridge began to wilt. Moments later Kevin Farrell added to his seven points with his side’s second goal.

With the score line reading 1-15 to 2-12, Gerry Keegan stepped up to edge underdogs Celbridge in front once again. However the experience of the Kilkenny side was on show again and second half sub, Michael Rohan slotted his effort home to grant Carrickshock the title in the 63rd minute to grant them their first Leinster title.

For Celbridge, it’s again so close but yet so far as they fall short at the Leinster Final stage for the third time since 2010.

Celbridge Scorers: Gerry Keegan 0-10 (6f), Thomas Fitzgerald 1-00, Fergal Conway 0-02, Leo Quinn 0-02, Mark Maloney 0-01, Sam White 0-01

Carrickshock Scorers: Kevin Farrell 1-07 (4f), John Dalton 1-00, Michael Rohan 1-00, John Tennyson 0-01, Brian Donovan 0-01, Mark O’Dwyer 0-01, John Power 0-01, John Butler 0-01


1. Niall Lanigan

2. Tom Finnerty
3. Fiachra O’Muineacháin
4. Patrick Curtin

5. Kevin Murphy
6. Donal Maloney
7. Niall O’Muineacháin

8. Paddy Maloney
9. Billy White

10. Sam White
11. Leo Quinn
12. Gerry Keegan

13. Thomas Fitzgerald
14. Mark Maloney
21. Fergal Conway

Subs: 22. Brendan Lyng for Paddy Maloney


1. Jamie Power

2. David Franks
3. John Dalton
4. James Grace

5. John Cahill
6. John Tennyson
7. Niall Tennyson

8. Brian Donovan
9. Damien Walsh

10. John Power
11. Michael Rice
12. Kevin Farrell

13. Darragh Brennan
14. Mark O’Dwyer
18. Shane Power


20. John Butler for David Franks,
22. Richie Power for Brian Donovan
15. Micheal Rohan for Mark O’Dwyer

Referee: Alfie Devine (Westmeath)

– This article was updated as a previous version read that the score line was 1-15 to 2-12 in favour of Celbridge, when in fact that score line meant that it was a draw at the time.

The42 is on Instagram! Tap the button below on your phone to follow us!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *