Previously: Last Sunday, TNA presented their biggest show of the year, Bound for Glory. In the main event, Bobby Lashley defeated Ethan Carter III to retain the TNA World Heavyweight title.
Tonight: On tonight’s show, new TNA Tag Team Champions The Broken Hardys will defend against Decay in a Wolf Creek Cage match. Also, Cody and Brandi Rhodes will make their Impact debuts.
– Lashley came out and bragged about retaining his title at BFG. He was interrupted by new Grand Champion Aron Rex. Rex defeated Eddie Edwards to win the title on Sunday.
They argued for a bit but were interrupted by new Knockouts Champion and Hall of Famer Gail Kim. She said it’s 2016 and the women are changing the business. This brought out Broken Matt, Reby and Maxel. The Impact Zone broke into a “Maxel” chant. Matt told Kim that he is change.
Finally, X Division Champion DJ Z came out to the ring. Lashley said that he’s got to prepare for a fight so he’s leaving. TNA president Billy Corgan came to the ring with Aiden O’Shea. Corgan said that all the champions will defend their titles tonight including Lashley. Matt yelled, “Wonderful!” Billy has picked three guys, and Lashley gets to choose who he’ll defend against. DJ Z is the only one not defending because he’ll be in Team X Gold
Mandrews, Braxton Sutter & DJ Z defeated Trevor Lee, Andrew Everett & Marshe Rocket in Team X Gold
Team X Gold is the brainchild of Corgan and DJ Z. This was basically just a tag match but Josh Mathews and Pope stressed that rules are being strictly enforced. Sutter gave Everett a powerbomb and Mandrews hit a shooting star press for the win.
– Jeremy Borash interviewed Moose. He’s one of the possible challengers for Lashley later. Moose said that Lashley is scared of him.
– Fact of Life with Eli Drake was next. He had a brand new set with a desk and chair. Drake won Bound for Gold on Sunday. Drake’s guest was EC3. Drake asked EC3 about not winning the title. Drake kept interrupting EC3 with the “Dummy, Yeah” button. EC3 promised to win the World title. He dared Drake to press the button one more time so he could beat him up. Drake said that EC3 was handed everything while he had to struggle for it. Drake walked off set and said to cut EC3’s mic.
– In the back, Maria, Sienna and Laurel Van Ness blamed Allie for Maria losing the title to Gail Kim.
– Mackenzie Mitchell interviewed Eddie Edwards at ringside. Edwards is the second possible challenger for Lashley to pick from.
Knockouts Champion Gail Kim defeated Sienna
Madison Rayne was on commentary. Sienna kept yelling at Allie as they went to the ring. Kim rolled up Sienna to win the match. After the match, Sienna and Laurel Van Ness beat down Kim. Maria announced she’s getting her rematch with Kim and there will be no disqualification. Maria tried to force Allie to slap Kim but she refused.
– Backstage, Borash brought out the third choice for Lashley, which was EC3.
TNA Tag Team Champions The Broken Hardys defeated Decay in a Wolf Creek cage match
Matt noticed that Rosemary didn’t come out with Decay so he sent Reby to the back to protect Maxel. Hanging from the cage were trash cans, handcuffs, barbwire, a grappling hook, chainsaws and machetes.
Jeff used a staple gun on Abyss. Crazzy Steve used the grappling hook in Matt’s mouth. Matt pulled down the chainsaw but Steve prevented him from using it. Jeff climbed to the top of the cage. Rosemary came out from underneath the ring and spit mist in Jeff’s eyes. Reby came back and used a rabbit’s head staff on Rosemary. Jeff handcuffed Abyss to the cage. Matt escaped the cage to win the match for his team.
– Cody and Brandi Rhodes came out to the ring. Cody mentioned that he had his wish list with him and pulled it out. Brandi whispered in his ear and he put the list back. When talking about his wife, Cody said that her name isn’t just Brandi — it’s Brandi Rhodes. Brandi had told Cody that winning the TNA title should be on the list, not Bennett.
Cody mentioned that TNA has granted him a TNA World Heavyweight title shot. Mike Bennett and Maria interrupted them. Bennett said that he had to earn his title shot and wasn’t given a shot like Cody. Cody and Bennett ended up brawling until Bennett escaped from the ring. After, Cody challenged Bennett to a match next week.
– In the back, Maria tried to talk to Corgan but Aiden O’Shea wouldn’t let her in. Corgan told O’Shea to tell Maria that if she loses to Gail in her title match, Maria will lose her power as leader of the knockouts.
Aron Rex defeated Baron Dax to retain the Grand Championship
All three judges gave the first round to Dax. Finish came in the middle of round two when Rex made Dax tap out to retain his Grand Championship.
– Lashley, Moose, Edwards and EC3 came out. Lashley picked Edwards as his opponent because he’s going to be the easiest for Lashley to beat.
Eddie Edwards defeated Bobby Lashley to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship
Edwards went for a quick pin attempt to start the match. Lashley gained the advantage and worked over Edwards. Lashley went for a spear but Edwards sent him to the outside. Edwards hit two suicide dives in a row but Lashley moved out of the way on the third dive and Edwards crashed hard into the barricade. Lashley went for another spear but Edwards caught him with the Boston Knee Party out of nowhere for the pin and the win.
Eddie Edwards is the new TNA World Heavyweight Champion.
Next week: On next week’s show, Cody will make his in-ring debut when he faces off with “The Miracle” Mike Bennett.