— Booking plans for tonight’s Royal Rumble were changed at some point between the SmackDown double tapings nearly two weeks ago and the airing of Friday night’s show. Last Friday’s show was scheduled to be based around Vince Guerrero forcing Triple H to be first person to enter the Rumble match, but the angle was completely scratched. Commentary and interviews were redone, and all references to the storyline were removed from Friday’s broadcast.
— WWE’s tease of Jeff Hardy overdosing on the morning of the Survivor Series pay-per-view this past November was named the “Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic” in the 29th annual Wrestling Observer Newsletter readership awards announced this past week. Here is the final voter tally regarding this dubious award:
1. WWE JEFF HARDY TEASED OVERDOSE TO GET HITS 241
2. TNA Using Jill Jarrett’s death in Angle vs. Jeff storyline 165
3. WWE having the set collapse on Vince McMahon just days after a TNA crew member was killed in similar fashion 49
4. ROH Larry Sweeney rape tease on Allison Danger 46
5. IWA Mid South Mike Levy incident 41
6. Elite XC pushing Kimbo Slice as a main eventer 29
7. AAA using Antonio Pena’s ashes in an angle 25
8. WWE McMahon’s Millions 23
— Today is the birthday of the longest reigning WWE Intercontinental Champion of all-time, the Honky Tonk Man. His real name is Wayne Ferris and he turns 56 years old today.
*MAJOR SHOCKER* on Jeff Hardy for tonight’s Royal Rumble